The Reading Room

I will try to keep up with what I am reading here.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Faithful, by Stewart O'Nan and Stephen King.

This is the story of the 2004 Red Sox season, told by two writers who share friendship and Red Sox passion.  It is composed of notes, emails,and commentary, written game-by-game and not after the fact.  They certainly picked a perfect time to keep a daily record!  First World Series championship since 1918!  Unfortunately, as we Cardinals's fans know, they achieved this by sweeping one of the best Redbird teams ever. 

I read a few of the daily entries from during the course of the season.  I am sure if I was a Sox fan, these would be wonderful, as I compared my memories and thoughts to theirs.  I wish I had something like this for the 1985 season, or for 2011.  However, as an outsider, I found it less than enthralling.

I did read all the World Series entries.  They were respectful of the Cardinals, not gloating or disparaging our team.  And O'Nan remarked on the gaffe by Jeff Suppan in the third inning of game three, when he failed to score from third on a ground out by Larry walker even though the Sox were conceding the run..  I was at this game, and I remember being stunned when Suppan didn't score, and sensing the encroaching doom.  The run would have tied the score 1-1 against Pedro Martinez, and might have given he Birds some life, but instead the nails were now being driven into the coffin. 

This would be a great gift for any Red Sox fan, but if you don't share the hatred for the Yankees or haven't experienced the long, long years of disappointment, you'll probably just find it mildly entertaining.  There is way to much detail for any but the true Sox fan to be truly appreciative of it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home