The Reading Room

I will try to keep up with what I am reading here.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

And now for a few movies

This year I've seen quite a few movies already. 
  1. We saw The Hobbit, the Battle of the Five Armies just before New Years.  I was entertained, but CGI makes the battle scenes (which was 90% of the movie) a little formulaic.  It's just too easy to create massive armies, it seems, flowing over fields of blood and gore.
  2. We also went to see The Imitation Game on New year's Eve.  This told the story of Alan Turing and the team that developed the machine that cracked the Nazi's Enigma Code during World War II.  Recommended for anyone.
  3. Caroline and I watched Joss Whedon's version of Much Ado About Nothing.  Amy Acker, who plays Root on Person of Interest, was charming as Beatrice, and the whole thing was fun.  Shot in black and white with characters in modern dress, this dark Shakespearean comedy was wonderful.
  4. Last Night I watched Nebraska by myself.  Bruce Dern was outstanding as the elderly father who is intent on getting from Billings< Montana to Lincoln, Nebraska (I've been there!) to claim his million dollar prize from some imitation Publisher's Clearing House.  His son decides to humor him,and the developments along the way chronicle the deepening understanding of a son for his father, and respect for the relationship between  his parents.  Well done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home